When moving day arrives you want to be prepared in every way possible so that there is less stress on yourself and those helping you. Being organized before your move helps ensure a smooth moving day and start to life in your new home or apartment. With a little planning, you can settle in and start enjoying your new home. Here’s a list of a few important things to keep in mind.
- Keep a running list of all the little things that have to get done before moving day arrives. With so much to do you want to make sure that nothing gets overlooked. For example, you may want to have someone help with taking items out of boxes and organizing them or ask them to be available to run quick errands like picking up packing tape from the store. Share your to-do list with them so they can help make sure nothing gets missed.
- Do one last walk-through to make sure nothing has been forgotten. Check in the closets, cabinets, and counters for any items that may have gotten misplaced during the moving process, and remember to leave keys (don’t forget the mailbox key) and garage door openers behind.
- Pack all medicines you’ll need in a place you can get to easily where they won’t get lost during transport. Packing all medicine in one place also makes it easier to have them handy and readily available. You’ll want to remember everything from headache medicine to heart pills, this is especially important when moving with children and seniors.
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged and you know where the charger is. This way if you need to make a call or check the weather for any reason during the moving process you are ready to go and easily accessible.
- Have cleaning supplies on hand and available so you can clean up after the movers have left. This way you can leave your old place in great shape and make sure everything is picked up, wiped down, and ready for unpacking at the new house or apartment.
- Have cash on hand to tip your movers. Tipping the moving crew is not expected but very much appreciated, especially if you feel strongly about the service they provided.
Be sure to keep a positive attitude throughout the entire moving process. Moving is stressful and while having a great team of movers on your side helps, having a sense of humor during the move will put everyone in a better mood and make the whole process more fun.