Escape Winter in These 5 Top Retirement Cities
With winter on its way, many people are thinking about heading to a warmer destination for their retirement or just to escape the Indiana cold for a few months.
If you’re wondering what place you should head to this winter and why, we’ve put together a brief list for you!
Sarasota is nestled on the Gulf and averages warm temperatures year-round. The town itself has a thriving downtown area but is also surrounded by smaller communities that allow you to have direct access to the beach.
- Population: 52,000 (not including metro area)
- Average January Temperature: Low – 52, High – 71
- Average Snowfall: 0
- Unique Benefit: If you’re a fan of music and art, Sarasota is the home of the Ringling Museum of art and the Florida West Coast Symphony.
Although Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix, it has its own atmosphere. The town offers plenty of ways to both relax and be active – with numerous spas, golf courses, hiking areas, and beautiful weather to make you feel alive during the winter months.
- Population: 227,471
- Average January Temperature: Low – 43, High – 66
- Average Snowfall: 0
- Unique Benefit: If you’re a big fan of culinary delights, the Scottsdale’s Culinary Festival, is one of the longest-running food festivals in the U.S. The event showcases many of the restaurants, wineries, breweries and chefs in the area.
If you’re looking for a warm, small-town to move to, Fredericksburg, Texas could be your place. And although it’s small, it’s relatively close to two big cities – Austin, Texas directly to the east and San Antonio to the south-east.
- Population: 11,000
- Average January Temperature: Low – 34, High – 60
- Average Snowfall: 0
- Unique Benefit: The town is quaint and packed with history, like the Nimitz Hotel that is now a WWII Museum.
If you’re looking for a town that’s full of energy and activity to move or retire to, Athens is your place. It’s a college town that’s also known for its famous music scene and has a variety of housing options for all ages.
- Population: Just over 100,000
- Average January Temperature: Low – 33, High – 54
- Average Snowfall: 3”
- Unique Benefit: Fourteen of Athens’ neighborhoods are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A Wildcard: Asheville, North Carolina
Maybe you enjoy winter, but you’re just ready to do it in a different place. Asheville, North Carolina has been one of “10 Best Places to Retire” by US News & World Report. It’s located in the valley of the Blue Ridge Mountains, next to the Great Smoky Mountains, giving you plenty of opportunity for outdoor activities.
- Population: 224,000
- Average January Temperature: Low – 28, High – 47
- Average Snowfall: 13.3”
- Unique Benefit: Although you’ll have a more temperate winter, in Asheville, you’ll still get all four seasons and the ability to enjoy the snowfall for a bit!
Ready to move? Call us!
When you’re ready to pack your bags and boxes and move to one of these great destinations or another that’s on your own list, we’re ready to help. We offer free quotes on all moves, and we will send one of our moving specialist to come and help you understand the moving process.
Request a free quote at the top of this page or call us at (317) 639-9583/
The packers were the best crew I have had in 28 moves. Their experience, listening and professionalism got it done with ease.Judy V Indianapolis, IN
The move went very well. They were great, professional, and on time!Neal C. Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for your help, the movers are so professional!!Jay H. Greenwood, IN
On behalf of the family, I am writing to compliment you and your staff. The crew was professional, friendly and efficient. Their willingness to go beyond the minimum specifications of […]Bonnie S. Avon, IN
It was a real pleasure working with you and your crews. A very professional group, and I would not hesitate to use your company again.Marti H. Indianapolis, IN
We had to make a last-minute change in our moving date, and your team was able to get the job done for us. Those were a hectic few days, and […]Ruth E Indianapolis, IN
The gentlemen were efficient, kind, and hard working. It went wonderfully well. Thank you so much!Chick M Indianapolis, IN
The crews did an amazing job. The crews were professional and efficient. I’d recommend and use Hogan again.Caleb R Indianapolis, IN
Thanks so much. Your guys did an amazing job! We can’t thank you enough!Tanya R Guggenheim Partners
I really am thankful that we chose Hogan for our move. The crews were the best, I can’t say enough good things about them. They were professional, courteous, hard working […]Mike G Cassidy Turley